Squash: From A to Z - Little Yellow Crooknecks

     Although I didn’t grow up eating squash, I’ve become quite a fan. From A (acorn) to Z (zucchini), they are now favorites.          
      I have vague memories of my mother feeding baskets of squash (delivered to our farm by my dad’s relatives) to the chickens. Therefore, as an adult I turned to the “Squash” section of the 1965 edition of Better Homes & Gardens Vegetable Cook Book (remember there was not such a thing as internet back then). One of the first recipes I tried called for little yellow crookneck squash. We liked them so much, that I soon began experimenting with lots of other varieties as well.
     Here’s that original recipe that I still prepare some 40 years later . . . with a few minor adjustments on my part.

Little Yellow Crooknecks
Little yellow crookneck squash – less than 3” long
Melted butter or olive oil
Kosher salt & coarse-ground pepper
Snipped or chopped fresh herbs – parsley, oregano, basil, etc.
Pimentos or roasted red peppers, chopped
Grated Parmesan cheese

1.     Steam squash just until tender. Then split lengthwise. (Alternative – split squash first, lay cut side down on a micro-safe plate and microwave just until tender.)
2.     Brush cut surface with melted butter or olive oil. (I have even omitted this step at times.)
3.     Place squash halves in shallow pan. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle liberally with snipped or chopped fresh herbs of choice, chopped pimento or roasted red peppers and grated Parmesan.
4.     Insert pan into a 350° oven just until they sizzle. (In order to avoid heating up the house, I use our Breeville oven and actually set the temperature on broil – in just a few minutes the squash are ready). Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment