Hays House Fresh Peach Pie

     Can’t remember who gave me this recipe but it supposedly came from the Hays House Restaurant in Council Grove. I’ve eaten their pie and it seems to be the same recipe.
     Because the filling is not baked, the wonderful fresh flavor of the peaches shines through. Top it with fresh whipped cream and enjoy a “slice of summer”.

Fresh Peach Pie  Yield:  1 pie (cut into 6 to 8 servings)


Crust
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup melted margarine (I used butter)

1. In a mixing bowl, combine flour and sugar; add melted butter. 
2. Press mixture into bottom of ungreased 9” pie pan and up side (not on the rim).
3. Bake 10 to 15 minutes (toasty brown) at 350°.

Filling
1 cup granulated sugar
1 (3 oz.) package peach Jello®
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup water or peach juice
10 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches, about 12 peaches (although the original recipe called for this amount, I use just about half that amount and a 9-inch pie is crust is heaping with peaches)

1. Combine sugar, gelatin and cornstarch. In saucepan, combine sugar mixture with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Boil 3 minutes or until mixture looks clear and has thickened. Cool until there is no heat remaining and mixture begins to set. 
2. Mix syrup with peaches. 
3. Pile into cooled crust and refrigerate at least one hour.

Topping
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon powdered sugar

1. Shortly before serving pie, whip cream with powdered sugar until stiff. 
2. Spead whipped cream over the surface with a spatula; cut and serve. Or, cut and add a dollop to each slice.

Peach Peeling Tip from my Mom — use a potato peeler to peel the peaches. This really works!

SEE MY ADAPTATION of this recipe -- Fresh Peach Tart with almonds

2 comments:

  1. I would like to thank you for posting this recipe. I grew up in Council Grove & worked at the Hays House my senior year of high school (when Rick and Alicia owned and operated the restaurant). To this day it remains my favourite job of all time. I miss the entire menu, especially the pies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to thank you for posting this recipe. I grew up in Council Grove & worked at the Hays House my senior year of high school (when Rick and Alicia owned and operated the restaurant). To this day it remains my favourite job of all time. I miss the entire menu, especially the pies!

    ReplyDelete