Soup's On - Corn Sausage Chowder

Debi Seley Dayani & her brother,
Jim Seley, joined us for a casual
soup supper.

     In need of a quick-to-make soup, I turned to Margaret Shouse’s recipe for Corn Sausage Chowder.  It is hearty and could very well be a one-dish meal; I served it with a green salad and a loaf of homemade sourdough bread as simple company fare.
     Margaret shared the recipe when I interviewed her for my monthly cooking column  in February 2007 (“Home-Cooking—Dickinson County Style,” Abilene Reflector-Chronicle).  She has been making her variation of this grand prize winning recipe since 1988 after discovering it in The Salina Journal’s holiday recipe insert. The recipe was submitted to the Journal by Betty Hunter of  Salina.
    Although the recipe is delicious as is, like Margaret, I made a few minor variations of my own – they are included in paranthesis.

Corn Sausage Chowder   Serves 6 to 8
1 lb. bulk pork sausage
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped onion (I used an entire small onion – about ½ cup+_
4 cups peeled potato cubes, ½” pieces
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram (I used about 1½ tsp. of thyme instead)
2 cups water
1 (l7 oz.) can cream-style corn
1 ( l7 oz.) can undrained whole kernel corn
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk (I used just about half of the can as I preferred a thicker consistency)
I added a paprika-based seasoning salt near the end for additional flavor + also used it to garnish the soup, along with a sprig of thyme

  1. Cook sausage and onion in a 4-quart soup pot until sausage is brown and onion tender.If needed, drain excess grease from sausage.  
  2. Add with potatoes, salt, pepper, marjoram, and water to the soup pot.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about l5 minutes.
  3. Add the 2 cans of corn and the evaporated milk. Heat through but do not boil. Note – if you want an even thicker soup, add a cornstarch (a little cornstarch mixed with cold water) slurry to the hot soup.

Soup garnished with seasoned salt & a sprig of thyme.

No comments:

Post a Comment