LET’S EAT PIE! – Amish-style Oatmeal Walnut Pie

 While I’d love to eat pie every day . . . I don’t for obvious reasons! However, we are teaching a pie class in the near future so I wanted to practice making crust! And, I’ve had my eye on an Amish recipe for Oatmeal-Walnut Pie. But, what to do so that we won’t eat the entire pie? Because if I make it, I will eat it! And, if I don’t, I’ll feel quite wasteful.
      Then I remembered the small pie pans that I discovered at a yard sale. So, we did share one (the Amish pie was delicious) and the other three are in the freezer . . . and so far I’ve resisted temptation.
     Although I found several varieties for oatmeal pie, this is the one I settled on; others used lots more butter. It is somewhat reminiscent of a pecan pie but not as rich. It would be good with ice cream or whipped cream but we ate it plain, warm out of the oven!

Amish-style Oatmeal Walnut Pie   Makes 4 small (5”) diameter pie pan or one 9” - 10” pie
Instead of using a standard pie crust,
I made four small ones.
¾ cup light corn syrup
¾ cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup milk (I used almond milk)
¼ cup (½ stick) butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup regular (old-fashioned) oats (quick-cooking would work, too)
½ cup walnut pieces
Prepared pie crust (9”-10” or use 4 small pie pans)

1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the syrup, brown sugar, milk, butter, eggs and vanilla until well blended. Stir in oats and nuts.
Oats and nuts are ready to be stirred into the batter.
3. Pour into prepared crust and secure strips of foil around the edge of the crusts to avoid overbrowning.
To avoid a potential oven mess, I placed the pies on a baking sheet.
Two of the four pies are secured with foil strips.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes; remove foil strips. Continue to bake another 20 minutes for smaller pies (about 30 more minutes for full sized pie) or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Cool on wire rack. 

5 comments:

  1. Lovely to see the Amish appearance! I'm in the throes of writing a Mennonite (akin to the Amish) cookbook and the pie chapter is on the table. I was just eyeing these oatmeal pies today actually. How did the lucky recipient like the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved the pie! The oatmeal cuts some of the richness of the pie leaving a very satisfying taste. Actually we even shopped at a Mennonite bulk store today -- it is a great place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful to hear! I hope your class goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This pie sounds interesting and wonderful. I would never think of putting these walnuts and oatmeal together, but now I can't wait to make it and I'm keen to find out more about Amish cooking/baking.

    Thanks for sharing this recipe with us.

    Nicola

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you like it. I goggled the topic (Amish Cooking & Baking) and found lots of interesting looking sites.

    ReplyDelete