I love smoothies for breakfast. My usual in a Chocolate Breakfast Shake, but this one, laced with spices, is also really good and good for you.
· *Bananas are a good source of potassium.
· * Almond Milk has 50% more calcium than regular milk and contains just 60 calories per one cup (compared to skim milk at 90 calories per cup).
· *Flax Meal is full of fiber and it helps reduce cholesterol and stabilize blood sugar.
· * Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties, soothes the stomach, and helps lower cholesterol levels.
· *Cinnamon can help lower blood sugar, triglycerides, LDL, and total cholesterol.
· * Cardamon aids digestion.
· *Nutmeg -- Studies show that it can help lower blood pressure and sooth a stomach ache.
· *Vanilla - Vanillin, the active component of vanilla, has been shown to have antioxidant properties.
Chai Almond Smoothie
1 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon ground flax meal (I use golden flax meal)
1 to 1½ teaspoons freshly grated ginger (good for nausea or upset stomaches)
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cardamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Put banana, milk, flax meal, spices and extract into blender. Add lid and blend until well mixed.
2. Stop blend; add ice (about 1/3 of a glass) and blend until ice is finely chopped and frosty. Sprinkle additional nutmeg on top and ENJOY!
Note: Add agave or honey -- just enough to sweeten, if needed. (Personally, I don’t think it needs extra sweetener.)