Signs of Springtime —Thai Iced Coffee


    Yes, I’m enjoying the cherry blossoms, and the fragrant bouquets of freshly picked lilacs and iris, but I am especially enjoying this tall, icy glass of coffee.
     I’ve always been a fan of the stuff but when Chef Angela McKeller posted this recipe for Thai Iced Coffee on a LinkedIn Cookbook Writers discussion group, I just knew I had to try it. And, I wasn’t disappointed. As a matter of fact, I will offer it at our upcoming Easter brunch.

Thai Iced Coffee
Ready to brew the coffee & spice blend.
1 (10 cup) pot of brewed coffee (the stronger the better); in addition to the coffee grounds, add the following spices to the brewing basket:
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
Simple Syrup*
LOTS of ice
Half-and-Half or substitute Almond Milk

1.     Cool the coffee and store in the fridge.
I added the brewed coffee to canning jars and put them in the refrigerator.
2.     In a tall glass, pour in as much simple syrup as you like for as much sweetness as you want, add lots of ice and coffee until glass is about 3/4 full; fill the rest of the way with half-and-half (I substituted almond milk and used about the same proportions – it was delicious. However, this is what Angela suggested, “I have tried it with almond milk and if you aren't expecting the richness of a true Thai Iced Coffee, I think you will still enjoy it much the same. I just might use a 50/50 ratio of almond milk to coffee rather than a 1:4 (half-and-half to coffee).” Stir and serve. I garnished mine with a sprig of chocolate mint.
Ingredients are ready to blend.
According to Angela’s suggestion, I plan to set out all the ingredients  (Thai Iced Coffee Bar style) and let anyone or everyone mix up their own
Ingredients & Supplies for a Thai Iced Coffee Bar
Tall Glasses
Chilled Thai-flavored Coffee
Chilled Simple Syrup
Lots of Ice
Half-and-Half &/or Almond Milk
Iced Tea Spoons
Mint Leaves, optional
And, maybe some Whipped Cream, too

Yum!

By the way, Angela invites everyone to visit her website http://www.angelamckeller.com/, where you can also sign up for a free copy of her book, "Cooking 101: From No Way! to Easy Gourmet".


To make SIMPLE SYRUP*: 
Combine equal amounts of granulated sugar and water in a saucepan. I threw in a chocolate mint leaf, too.
Heat on about medium heat until sugar dissolves and a thin, clear syrup remains; discard mint.
It does not take long for the syrup to form! Use to sweeten drinks or as a glaze on cakes, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment