Another Idea for Cucumbers — Creamed Cucumbers

    Even though the Kansas heat is taking its toll on our garden, the cucumbers still keep producing! I’ve made pickles, marinated cucumbers and onion slices  in vinegar, and chopped them up for salads. Just when I was running out of ideas, I remembered Ila Beemer’s recipe for Creamed Cucumbers.

Ila was the subject of my July 2008 food column (Abilene’s Reflector-Chronicle). She is a gardener “extraordinar,” a frequent vendor at the local Farmers Market, and her canned produce consistently racks up ribbons and prizes at county and state fairs. In her aritcle, I noted, “Ila enjoys visiting with the people that frequent the Farmers Market and occasionally acquires recipes from those purchasing her produce. This recipe came from Johanna Turrentine.  Ila fills a 1 1/2-quart bowl with sliced cucumbers and pours the dressing over them. ‘I keep a bowl of these in the refrigerator all summer long,’ she stated.”


Creamed Cucumbers
4 medium cucumbers, sliced (I sliced them into ¼” discs)
1 cup mayonnaise – Ila mentioned regular, reduced-fat or fat free mayo works
1/3 cup granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup white vinegar
½ cup chopped onion

1.     Slice cucumbers into a bowl. 

This is certainly not required but I like "score" the cucumbers by running a fork down the sides (above).
Then once the cukes are sliced, their edges have a ruffled appearance.



2.     Mix remaining ingredients and pour over the cucumbers. 
Look -- I even have Ila's recipe on my iPad!
3.     Refrigerate overnight for best flavor.
Ready to go into the fridge.
4.     Drain at least part of the liquid (if needed) before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment