French Silk Frosting . . . good on cake, or just by the spoonful!


 When I posted a copy my last  Reflector-Chroncile article, I also set up links to some of my favorite recipes mentioned in the story. However, there were a couple of recipes that I've never added to the blog, hence I included a promise to add them in the future.
     Although this is just about my all-time favorite frosting recipe, I just haven't had an occasion to make it recently — two people really don't need to eat an entire cake!      
     This morning I was in Amanda's Bakery & Bistro for coffee with friends when Amanda brought out a birthday cake for Stewart Etherington who was at another table with a group of men. Everyone in the bistro joined in to sing Happy Birthday and then, much to our surprise we were all treated to a slice of Stew's Chocolate Cake with French Silk Frosting.
     French Silk Frosting is a chocolalty confection that feels silky to the tongue and its so good that I could eat it by the spoonful (which is saying a lot since I normally opt for a minimum of frosting). I discovered the recipe online years ago, about the time I began catering at the Kirby House. When Amanda came on board as the restaurant's pastry chef, I shared the recipe with her.
    Normally I do not eat cake for breakfast but I gobbled this one up and when I finished,  it finally dawned on me that this could have been an opportunity to take a picture to go with this recipe post. Luckily there were a few pieces left, definitely enough to give you an idea of the creaminess of the frosting and how pretty it looks on the cake.
Chocolate Espresso Cake with FRENCH SILK FROSTING
FRENCH SILK FROSTING      enough to cover a 3-layer cake
This frosting has the consistency of silk.                                                                      
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 cup butter, softened  (2 sticks)
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened baking cocoa powder, sifted
 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla 
3 tablespoons milk
  1. In a medium bowl, blend powdered sugar, butter, cocoa powder, vegetable oil and vanilla on low speed. Increase speed to high.  
  2. Gradually add milk; beat until smooth and very fluffy.

1 comment:

  1. Is French Silk frosting supposed to be tart? I may be a bit ignorant as this was my first time trying it, but I was a bit disappointed with the recipe since it wasn't sweet or chocolatey at all. I ended up adding melted white sugar, brown sugar, and milk chocolate morsels to make it taste good.

    ReplyDelete