GREEN EGGS – Egg Salad for a CROWD and a Dr. Suess MENU!



I like them I do! Green Eggs Sandwiches . . .
for you, and you, and you.

Mmmmm, I like these, too! I like ham sandwiches. How about you?

Or, if you’d like something new . . . Try a combination of the two!

     We really did not serve green eggs at our Parents as Teachers Family Connection this evening! However, egg salad garnished with parsley did find it’s way onto the Dr. Suess-themed buffet table . . . along with the ham!
     Not really sure that many people want to make egg salad for 50 but since there were a few requests for the recipe, here goes. I began with the recipe in the 8th edition of Food For Fifty by Grace Shugart and Mary Molt . . . and added some Dijon mustard, black pepper + paprika + also adjusted the amount of some ingredients (I used less mayo and pickle relish) – all of those adjustments are indicated below. However, the final step requires tasting and adjusting, and I must admit that I didn’t keep track of those extra additions . . .other than I added a few extra squirts of Dijon, a little extra salt and pepper and a little more paprika.
     Also, I started to take photos but then questioned if anyone really wanted to make that much egg salad . . . so I didn’t really photograph the process. Besides, for those of you who want a more family oriented egg salad recipe, here’s a link and it does contain step-by-step photos — Egg Salad Sandwiches 

Egg Salad for 50 (allows 2 oz. of filling for 50 sandwiches) 
1 ¾ - 2 cups mayonnaise (start w/ smaller amount & add more if needed)
½ - ¾ cup pickle relish (start w/ smaller amount & add more if needed)
2 teaspoons salt (I use Kosher)
½ teaspoon white pepper + ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
About ½ cup finely diced onions (the recipe called for 1 tsp. onion juice but I think it needs the finely chopped onions for flavor)
Heaping ¼ cup Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons paprika
For garnish: fresh parsley (chopped) & additional paprika

1.     Peel eggs and coarsely chop (I used an egg slicer – cutting the egg first one way and then the other). Place in a large bowl.
2.     Add remaining ingredients, except the garnish, and mix gently.
3.     Taste for seasoning and adjust to suit your preference. Add additional mayonnaise if needed, etc.
4.     Garnish – I sprinkled the top with paprika and arranged parsley around the edge.
Note Those in attendance could select the bread of their choice and pile it with egg salad or ham, or both.

And what goes with green eggs and ham? Here’s the rest of tonight’s menu:

One Fish. Two Fish. Will you have a Goldfish? (gold fish crackers)
For even more fun . . . Smiling veggies, grown in the sun!

It’s time to move . . . Pick up you feet, Grab some milk & a treat!
(Rice Krispie Treats / Cartons of Milk)

No comments:

Post a Comment