meal . . .
Fruit Salad Christmas Tree
Halos or clementines, peeled and divided into segments
Strawberries, hulled and cut in half
Apples, cored and sliced thin (dip in lemon juice to prevent browning)
Kiwi, peeled and cut into slices
Grapes, cut in half
A couple of cinnamon sticks
1 star anise
Celery Seed Dressing
This is the way I assembled the fruit salad. (Vary amount and types of fruit to suit your own needs.)
- Create a base with the orange segments. I stacked them a couple of layers high.
- Add a second layer of strawberries; taper this layer to begin narrowing the tree, as shown above. Each subsequent layer should continue to taper to ultimately form a triangle shape.
- At this point, I just left a space for the apples as I wanted to add them at the last minutes. (I assembled the rest of the salad several hours in advance of the party.)
I also went ahead and added some grape decorations to the fruit on the platter and cut some extra (which are located near the top of the platter) to add to the apple section).
- Add a layer of kiwi slices.
- Add grape decorations to the "tree."
- Add cinnamon sticks to the bottom of the tree to create a tree trunk.
- Add a star anise to the top for the "star."
- Tuck a few springs of mint into the "tree."
- Drizzle fruit lightly with Celery Seed Dressing.