Chocolate-coated Pringle Cowboy Hats . . . not as simple as you might think!


A lesson learned — simple is sometimes complicated! Knowing that I taught at Abilene High School in the land of the AHS Cowboys and Cowgirls, my sister sent me this seemingly simple idea for a treat that I could make as a favor for an upcoming teacher’s reunion. We joked on the phone that it was probably one of those projects that looked simple but was not! NOT was correct. I gathered my supplies, melted chocolate and began dipping Pringle chips one hot summer day. A thick layer of chocolate encased the chips, much too thick to be feasible and I couldn’t imagine holding onto the edge until the excess slowly dripped off. Thought I’d add a bit of coconut oil to the chocolate to thin out the chocolate and help it harden..I dipped, placed the chips (over 40 of them) on waxed paper and waited for the chocolate to harden. I waited . . . and waited . . . and waited. Finally I put the chips in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes and they did harden. Took them out and before long the chocolate was again soft and sticky. “This will never work,” says I. Barry, thinking he’d saved the day and ready for his fair share of sweet treats, volunteered to eat the rejects. Back to the drawing board/ This time I purchased chocolate melts.” By now, I’m beginning to run out of time, so I decide to simplify the process and asked Barry to assist. Instead of dipping, I simply brushed a layer of chocolate on the top of the Pringle, set it on wax paper, and then Barry applied the Rolo and an orange mini M&M (orange and brown are the Cowboy/girl colors). Not perfect but we finished quickly and they added a festive touch to our gathering.
  

*Chocolate Melts — compound chocolate or chocolate wafers, offer a world of convenience. Unlike real chocolate, they contain vegetable fats instead of cocoa butter, which means they don't require tempering. This makes them a go-to choice for quick and easy melting, ideal for coating, dipping, or decorating.

 

Chocolate-coated Pringle Cowboy Hats

Chocolate Melts

Pringles

Wax paper

Rolo candies

Mini M&M candies for decorating 

  1. Melt Chocolate Melts according to package instructions.
  2. Using a silicon pastry brush, coat the top of a Pringle with a thin layer of melted coating. Set on wax paper.
  3. Center a Rolo candy in the center of the Pringle and add an M&M candy (or other decoration of your choice). 
    A
    Above - a plate of extra AHS Cowboy/girl edible hats.
    Below: A few pics from our AFS staff reunion. 




No comments:

Post a Comment