Banana Bread . . . and Recipe Modification

     After multiple flops with Banana Bread, I vowed never to make it again! Then Virginia Hoffman shared her recipe when I interviewed her for my monthly newspaper column (9/23/2008 Reflector-Chronicle). Her recipe sounded promising and she assured me that it was pretty much fail-proof. Well, I only had 2 bananas (they were large) but I gave it a try and . . . it was a success (no oozing batter in the center + it was moist and cuts nicely). Then, in an attempt to get my cholesterol under control (and I did), I made some modifications. . . and they worked, too! On the recipe that follows, I’ve included both Virginia’s version and my adjusted take on her recipe.

Banana Bread     Makes one 8” x 4” loaf
2 ripe (large-size) bananas (Virginia uses 3 medium or 4 if small)
¾ cup granulated sugar (Virginia uses 1 cup)
1 egg
1 ½  cups all-purpose flour (I used 1/3 oat flour & then enough flour to = 1 ½ c)
¼ cup canola oil (Virginia uses melted margarine)
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup coarsely chopped nuts (I use walnuts)

1. Preheat oven to 325°.
2. Mash bananas in a mixing bowl and then add remaining ingredients and mix. 
3. Pour into a greased 8” x 4” loaf pan. 
4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Nutritional Analysis  (based on loaf yielding 10 slices – 1 slice or 77 g): Calories 240, Fat 9.9g (Saturated Fat .8g, Cholesterol 19mg), Sodium 249mg, Carbohydrate 35.2g (Fiber 1/8g, Sugars 18.5g) Protein 4.2g, Vit A 1%, Calcium 1%, Vit C 4%, Iron 7%.



For more information about Recipe Modification, check out the helpful chart from Ohio State University Extension -- click on  Healthy Recipe Modification Tip Sheet for a direct link (or for a downloadable PDF file, goggling these key words - Healthy Recipe Modification Tip Sheet)
Here are a few other helpful links . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment